After dealing with thousands of customers, I have started seeing a pattern in the questions they ask. Below is a list of the granite FAQ I have come across.
Can I put hot objects on my granite countertop?
- Yes. Granite is ideal for kitchens because under normal conditions it will not burn. Granite will not be harmed by hot pots, pans or open even flames!
How often do I need to seal my granite countertop?
- This will vary a lot depending on how often the granite is used. Most granite countertops will need to be sealed once a year, however less used spots, like a guest bathroom countertop, may only need to be sealed once every 2 years. One method you can use to check if your granite needs to be resealed is to sprinkle some water on it. If the water soaks into the stone and does not bead up, then we would recommend resealing your granite.
Can I cut granite with household tools?
- Granite can be cut using any standard wet saw. Many slabs are impossible to cut using household tools / wet saws simply because of their size and weight, however granite tiles can easily be cut.
Can I repair granite if it gets chipped or scratched?
- It can be difficult to permanently repair granite; however it is also very difficult to damage it. If some damage does occur, granite chips can usually be repaired by using a mixture of epoxy and ground up chips of granite. If you scratch your granite top, it can usually be buffed out to where it is no longer visible.
How much does granite weigh?
- 2cm granite weighs approximately 15lbs. per square foot. Granite tiles (usually 3/8” tick) will weigh roughly 7lbs. per square foot. Although granite is fairly uniform in how it was created, the weight for every color of granite is different. Some colors, like Absolute Black, will weigh significantly more, and others will weigh less.
Can granite countertops be used outdoors?
- This is sadly one of the questions I get asked the most, and this is proof that there are indeed stupid questions. Every time someone asks me this I die a little inside. Granite has been outdoors for literally billions of years… Yes, it can be used outdoors.
Can I use my granite countertop as a cutting surface?
- Granite is a very dense material and under normal conditions it is scratch resistant. However, if you try hard enough you will be able to damage it with a knife.